To Top

Art & Life with Jack Burrows

Today we’d like to introduce you to Jack Burrows.

Jack, please kick things off for us by telling us about yourself and your journey so far.
I started DJing in the beginning of August 2017 when I was only 14. All I had was a free DJ app, my love of EDM music, and inspiration from The Chainsmokers. Over the next couple months, I would continuously post these horrible DJ mixes/mashups on Soundcloud until I met my mentor in November of 2017. I basically met my mentor through school because he ended up being my 8th grade P.E. coach. He was the type of guy who taught me about the business side and how to do a successful DJ gig. Not long after, I got to go with him and DJ in front of 10,000 people at this 5k event called the Gobble Jog in Marietta Square.

After I did that, my hobby for music started to turn into a career and that was when I started to become serious. I finally bought some equipment and started to grow in my skills. Over the numerous months that I taught myself, I learned four things that I needed to have in order to become successful: 1. Creativity, 2. Persistence, 3. The right mindset, and 4. Taking the initiative. After applying those four things in my music life, people started booking me more which meant more people were discovering me. This all stayed the same until the beginning of June 2018. During that time, I listened to some of Martin Garrix’s music and that was when I decided to start producing my own music. I self-taught myself how to make beats and not long after, I was collaborating with multiple artists including the famous German artist, The Colourist. In addition, I’ve met so many amazing people along the way including this amazing music producer named Mini Producer from Kennesaw Georgia who helped and supported me so much. Today, I’m 15 years old and have only been working with music for 1.5 years. There is still a lot of room for me to grow, but one day I hope to be on stage in front of thousands of people.

Can you give our readers some background on your art?
I make DJ mixes/mashups with whatever songs there are laying around. In addition, I make future bass, festival, and progressive EDM beats. The reason why I only make EDM beats is because there is less competition. So many producers are making hip hop beats that it’s just so easy to get overlooked by someone else. You don’t get that nearly as much in EDM. In terms of how I create DJ mixes/mashups, it mostly comes down to what I feel that moment. For example, I ask myself if I want to mix 10 songs in a minute, or if I want to do more of a scratch routine. It all comes naturally for me. It’s the same thing with making beats.

People ask me how I create my melodies and I always tell them this: “Instead of putting what’s in my brain down on keys, I let me fingers decide what I should put down on keys.” I let my fingers just move along the keyboard randomly without thinking. After I create my melody, I just find the sound I’m looking for. I have this one quote I tell people which is “90% of the time I spend making a beat is finding the right sound. The other 10% is actually working.” After I find the right sound, it’s a breeze to make the rest of the beat. To make an awesome dance hit, it takes me about 2-3 weeks of working every day with an accumulated working time of about 24 hrs. At the end though, it’s totally worth it. The one thing I’m trying to spread through my story and music is that it’s never too young to start. The younger you start, the more time you have to learn, grow, and turn your dream/hobby into a career. Don’t let people influence and tell you that you can’t do it because you’re too young. Age is only a number, not something that should be judged.

What responsibility, if any, do you think artists have to use their art to help alleviate problems faced by others? Has your art been affected by issues you’re concerned about?
My advice is that if you have a talent, showcase it now. ONLY look at the positives and NOT the negatives. I feel like our society today is being meaner than ever through things like social media. Also, just be yourself. Don’t worry about what others think of you or if what you do is bad in the beginning. Most people were bad at something before it became their talent. Use your flaws as constructive criticism.

What’s the best way for someone to check out your work and provide support?
You can listen and steam my music on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, YouTube, SoundCloud, Google Play Music, Instagram Music, Tidal, Amazon Music, and on my website. You can support my work by following me, streaming/downloading singles, and/or spreading the word about who I am.

Contact Info:

Image Credit:
Steven Yang

Getting in touch: VoyageATL is built on recommendations from the community; it’s how we uncover hidden gems, so if you know someone who deserves recognition please let us know here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

More in