Today we’d like to introduce you to Jessica Elizondo.
Jessica, let’s start with your story. We’d love to hear how you got started and how the journey has been so far.
The story begins in college, as I studied the culture of sex trafficking in the United States. My goal was to work with a non-profit to combat this ever-present issue, which led me to Atlanta (sadly, one of the most heavily trafficked cities in our country). God had different plans for my career, though, and while I still get to educate people on this issue, my daily work involves partnering with people to better their health.
I am the clinical nutritionist on staff at Corrective Chiropractic and have had the privilege and joy of creating this program from the ground up. Beginning in the office over four years ago as a Chiropractic Assistant, I had a passion for food and the power it has to heal the body. I began constructing what the face of the program would look like from Day 1, spending consistent time gleaning the knowledge of mentors and fellow colleagues in the functional medicine world. After a year of grass-roots efforts and pouring into the creation of this program to best serve my clients, I took on the full-time nutritionist role using functional and holistic practices.
As my food journey started to unfold, I had a goal to reach as many people as possible, encouraging them to live healthier and more fruitful lives, so I started an Instagram/Facebook account called @more_than_food. Every day, I made a new recipe, photographed the final dish and shared it with followers. As MTF’s followership began to grow, and I started making connections with other “foodies”, as well as food-focused companies like Whole Foods, I recognized an unmet need: people want to consume a healthy diet but they do not always know a) what to eat or b) how to prepare it. Therefore, in October 2016, I launched my blog as an official LLC business called: More Than Food (www.morethanfoodnutrition.com).
Overall, has it been relatively smooth? If not, what were some of the struggles along the way?
The road to create a nutrition program has been multi-layered and exciting! With that, when working with people’s health, there are always challenges to face. I speak with other practitioners and we are seeing that health issues are more complex than they have ever been in the past with various xenoestrogens (endocrine disturbers like plastics, perfumes/colognes, certain makeups), an overload of stress, GMO’s, pesticides, etc. So, when we add all of these extraneous layers to our understanding of what is causing different symptoms, the cases become more complex.
Please tell us about More Than Food .
The Corrective Nutrition/More Than Food Mission is: to teach about the powerful effect food has on our bodies and encourage a healthier, more fruitful way of living.
Nutritional Support is two-fold:
1) Through my role at Corrective Chiropractic, I offer Personal Nutritional Intervention and Detoxes. Utilizing a non-invasive technique called Nutrition Response Testing, we are able to analyze the body for toxicities and nutritional deficiencies. If either or both of these situations are present, symptoms can manifest. While we are not treating symptoms, the testing shows us how we can up-regulate the body and improve its natural physiology to support people feeling and functioning better. Some other in-house programs include weight loss management, purification (detox) programs, as well as testing for food intolerances.
2) Through More Than Food, I offer kitchen detoxes, grocery shopping tours and community talks. For instance, I will go to a client’s house and walk through all the food, drinks, condiments, etc. in the kitchen. As we process through a person’s cooking space, I work to educate on which foods to keep stocked, as well as the ones to avoid. Then, together we go on a grocery shopping tour to teach the most effective and efficient ways to shop, whether for a single person or entire family. I also greatly enjoy talking to different businesses/organizations within the community, teaching how to enhance their health. My goal is to invite authentic conversation and life-transformation for everyone!
Over the past three+ years, I have been able to walk alongside hundreds of people seeking healthier and more balanced selves. Our programs utilize functional nutritional intervention with a whole-body/whole-food approach to detoxing and fueling the body and I get to witness lives change before my eyes, simply by giving the body what it needs (and getting rid of the things it doesn’t!). Food is not just my career — it is a lifestyle I fully and passionately love, living out on a daily basis (and bringing others along for the ride, too)!
What were you like growing up?
Growing up, I was the girl who always followed rules, sat in the front row in class, said “Please” and “Thank You” and smiled more than anything. I was known as our family’s “second mom” because I love to lead (be in control) and mother others (though, I call it caring for others!). Loving on people is my favorite thing to do.
I was involved in more things that one day allowed, including volleyball, voice lessons, musical theater, exercising and plenty of friend time.
- Special Rate for Initial Nutrition Visit (at Corrective Chiropractic)- 50% off ($125 value, instead $62.50) + whole food concentrates, if needed
- Kitchen Detox (Hourly Rate)- $90 (ITP), $125 (OTP)
- Cooking Classes (Hourly Rate)- $75 (ITP), $100 (OTP) + cost of food (varies)
- Grocery Shopping Tour- $125 (split among as many people as you would like to join!)
- Address: 2233 Peachtree Rd. NW Suite 204
Atlanta, GA 30309(Corrective Chiropractic Address)
- Website: http://www.morethanfoodnutrition.com/
- Phone: 4043555499
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/more_than_food/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/morethanfood1/
- Yelp: https://www.google.com/search?ei=H2aDWoWeBoy-zgKotrKIDA&q=corrective+chiropractic+buckhead&oq=corrective+chiropractic&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i71k1l184.108.40.206.45220.127.116.11.0.0.0.0.0..0.0….0…1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0….0.mFYEHeRXF2c#lrd=0x88f505a894eff833:0xc806c41821aa1460,1,,,
- Other: http://info.correctivechiropractic.com/functional-nutrition