Today we’d like to introduce you t0 Vicky Vavoom.
Victoria and Vicky, please share your story with us.
I started working for Ulta Salon and Cosmetics and knew NOTHING about makeup. I was told by my manager that it was a requirement to wear makeup and to just try my best to apply it to myself and customers every day. Through practice I was known for all the vibrate colors I would use on myself and would be asked to apply it to customers. This was not even a service Ulta provided at that time.
One of my customers suggested that I go apply for MAC. I had never heard of them but I visited the mall on my lunch break and I fell in love! That location was not hiring at the moment but would keep my resume and application on file. I saw a career call on Craig’s List and I skipped my class to go and interview. I didn’t know half of the questions they asked me but she gave me a change and told me they would find a place for me in the company.
I was hired at Nordstrom Phipps Plaza as a freelance artist. From there, I became full time and then a manager. I gained a lot of customer/family that have supported me in opening The VaVoom Factory. They have followed me every step of the way and also referred me to many exciting projects. I have been able to work with corporations such as Coca-Cola, Delta, and other amazing projects in the city. I would not be where I am without my loving customers.
Great, so let’s dig a little deeper into the story – has it been an easy path overall and if not, what were the challenges you’ve had to overcome?
It definitely was some bumps in the road but it made me stronger as a business owner. These are some basic tips I wish someone would have told me:
1. Do yourself a favor and plan out the big picture and work backwards. I really don’t have a plan and didn’t have any idea what I was doing. It take less time to plan than to fix a mistake. Get in a mastermind group or follow inspirational people to get as many tools as you can.
2. Don’t sell yourself short. Make every situation and opportunity be in your favor. If it doesn’t benefit your business DONT DO IT!
3. Start your business how you would like to end it… in every aspect. Don’t do things that will become a bad habit or hurt you in the long run. Create a protocol for your business and stick to it.
4. THINK BIG! I never refer to my business as a “small business”. Every decision I make, brings me closer to making my brand global.
5. If your going to cry go outside. It’s a book I read by Kelly Cutrone and it stuck with me. It may not be easy but it’s worth it. It will be tears along the way but just let it out and then find a solution.
Alright – so let’s talk business. Tell us about The VaVoom Factory – what should we know?
I am a Beauty Enhancer with over 10 years of experience. I specialize in natural glam makeup that can be worn for any occasion. I enhance your features to look like the best possible version of yourself. I also have VaVoom Weddings that provides bridal makeup for any blushing bride. I have a bachelors in fashion merchandising and certifications from MAC cosmetics. This training is used when determining looks or working with different genres of makeup. The most important is I like to make people look and feel their best! It’s always a great time when you’re at The VaVoom Factory!
Finding a mentor and building a network are often cited in studies as a major factor impacting one’s success. Do you have any advice or lessons to share regarding finding a mentor or networking in general?
Don’t be afraid to talk or start a convo. I like to go to events with someone that you work well with so you can work the room together. They may talk to someone that you didn’t see. Eventbrite is a great place to find events. I personally think you should have a few mentors and they don’t always have to be in your field of business but have at least one that is aligned in your field.
- Such a Flirt (natural glam) $65
- VaVoom Effect (full glam) $85
- Wedding trial $75
- Address: 175 West Wieuca Rd Ne Suite 134
- Website: https://thevavoomfactory.wixsite.com/vickyvavoom
- Phone: 404-997-3466
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thevavoomfactory/
- Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/thevavoomfactory/
- Other: https://www.instagram.com/vickyvavoom/